1. Syracuse and New York are 240 miles apart. One car left Syracuse for New York, averaging 65 mph. At the same time another car left Syracuse, averaging 55 mph. How far from Syracuse did the cards pass each other?
2. A pilot plans to make a flight lasting 2 hours and 30 minutes. How far can he fly from the airport at the rate of 600mph and return over the same route at the rate of 400 mph?
3. James bought 80 postage stamps for which he paid .40. Some where 1-cent stamps and some were 33-cent stamps. How many of each kind did he buy?
4. A postal clerk sold 75 stamps for .90. Some were 20-cent and some were 34-cent stamps. How many of each kind did he buy?
5. Mr. Banks left 50% of his wealth to his wife, 22% to his daughter, 16% to his son, and had ,000 left. What was his total value of his wealth?
a) write each sentence as an equation in which "n" is used to represent the number
b) solve for "n"